Many of us will be traveling this summer after no or limited travel for the last 2.5 years so a bit of planning will be needed. I’ve personally taken this opportunity to update my pre-travel checklist i.e., the list of things I do before leaving for a trip. I’m happy to share it with you here.
WHEN BOOKING THE TRIP:
- Book air tickets / car rental / accommodation etc
- Check passport validity
- Check visa requirements
- Check covid testing requirements
TWO WEEKS BEFORE:
- Arrange pet care
- Arrange plants/garden care
- Inform neighbour and/or friend you’ll be away
- Go through your packing list and customise it based on your destination
- Make a list of items you need to buy before your trip, including medicine / first aid kit, and those to buy when you reach your destination
- Buy the items you need to buy before your trip
- Arrange transport from/to airport/train station
ONE WEEK BEFORE:
- Give spare keys to a neighbour or friend
- Ask neighbour or friend to collect your mail while you’re away
- Save all traveling documents, including passports, itinerary, car rental, accommodation bookings, vaccination certificates etc. on the cloud (or print them if you prefer to have a hard copy)
- Save important phone numbers on your phone
- Withdraw/change money
- Pay your bills
- Consume perishable food
- Cook and freeze one or two meals for your return
- Wash and put away laundry
- Clean your home
- Start packing based on your packing list
THE DAY BEFORE OR THE DAY ITSELF:
- Do online check-in (and print boarding pass if you prefer to have a hard copy)
- Set automatic out of office message
- Give or throw away perishable food
- Charge electronic devices: phone / tablet / laptop etc.
- Water plants
- Finish packing
- Bring toilets seat cover down
- Empty garbage bins
- Unplug electrical items / Switch off plugs
- Lock doors and windows
Save your pre-travel checklist so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel for your next trip. Having a digital version that you can update over the years will save you a lot of time. Adding checkboxes that you can tick as you complete your pre-travel checklist will keep you on track. I personally use Evernote for all my lists. I have a notebook (category) named travel where I keep my pre-travel checklist, my packing list, notes about the trip, a list of sightseeing activities in Singapore, etc.
Happy travels if you are traveling too! If you have a bit of time, tell me what else you would add to your pre-travel checklist.
DON’T MISS MY BLOG POSTS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS! SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER NOW!